Local & Global Missions
Second-Ponce de Leon Baptist Church (SPdL) is a missional congregation with a long tradition of supporting Christian missions in Atlanta and around the world. By combining mission education, partnerships and hands-on service to our neighborhood country and world, Second-Ponce seeks to “take the whole gospel to the whole person,” as was demonstrated by Jesus’ ministry on earth.
At Second-Ponce we are…
- An Engaged Church
Second-Ponce de Leon Baptist Church is renowned for engaging the Buckhead and Greater Atlanta communities by identifying and developing strategic ministry partnerships and mobilizing people within the community for ministry engagement.
- A Global Church
Second-Ponce de Leon Baptist Church is engaged in sharing the Good News and ministering to the physical and spiritual needs of a hurting world beyond Atlanta. We identify and develop strategic ministry partnerships while mobilizing people to ministry engagement as part of the body of Christ.
SPdL on Mission
Our Missions Partners
Our annual giving to cooperative missions is determined by our annual church budget and the wishes of our members as indicated on annual commitment cards. The four organizations we support, representing many diverse ministries, are:
Our Engaged Team dreams God-sized dreams for how to engage with our immediate community and Greater Atlanta. For more information on our local mission efforts or for questions on how to get involved contact EngagedTeam@spdl.org
- Andrew P. Stewart Center – http://stewartcenter.org/wdp/
- Atlanta Metro Baptist Association
- Atlanta Youth Project – http://www.atlantayouthproject.org
- Baptist Collegiate Ministry (BCM) @ Georgia State & Georgia Tech
- Buckhead Christian Ministry (BCM) – http://buckheadchristianministry.org
- Collaboration Church – http://www.collaborationchurch.com
- Edgewood Church – http://edgewoodchurchatlanta.org
- Garden Hills Elementary School – http://www.gardenhillselementary.org
- McAfee School of Theology @ Mercer University- https://theology.mercer.edu
- Orchard (formerly Atlanta Community Ministries) – http://www.meetorchard.org
- Shepherd Center – https://www.shepherd.org
Our Global Team focuses on sharing the love of God beyond Atlanta. For more information about our global mission work or for questions on how to get involved contact GlobalTeam@spdl.org
- Cuba Partnership – Fraternidad de Iglesias Bautistas de Cuba (FIBAC)
In November of 2016, three leaders from SPdL traveled to Cuba with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship of Florida to explore a new ministry partnership. This partnership will lead to mission trip opportunities (late 2017 or early 2018) to support the Fraternity of Baptists (FIBAC) and their local churches throughout Cuba.
- Touching Miami with Love – Miami, Florida (https://touchingmiamiwithlove.org)
Short-term summer mission trip opportunity to help Touching Miami with Love’s summer kid’s camp in the Overtown community of Miami.
- Le Centre Biblique Evangelist in France
SPdL member Elizabeth Musser and her husband operate an evangelical relationship ministry through International Teams in Montpelier, France.
Our Mission Projects
- Back-to-School Ministry
Supporting our local schools and their students and families.
- Benevolence Ministry
We maintain a benevolence fund to assist members or others associated with the church in their time of need.
- BCM Food Drive (January & July)
Twice a year we participate in a month-long food drive to benefit Buckhead Christian Ministry, and to raise awareness around hunger and food insecurity in our city.
- Christmas HOPE Project
A family-friendly service project on the first Saturday of December benefitting a number of our community partners.
- Second Saturdays
Church-wide group mission project opportunities on the second Saturday of the month, in collaboration with Orchard.
- Women’s Missionary Union (WMU)
This organization focuses on the total support of missions, such as learning, teaching, praying and providing financial support.
- Medical Missions
Our Missions Committee administers funds available through a special trust that is intended to provide support for a medical missionary.
- Missionary House
The SPdL Missionary House is available as a temporary U.S. residence for missionaries on furlough.
- Disaster Relief
In collaboration with the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship and CBF Georgia we support and participate in disaster relief efforts throughout the country and around the globe.